Saturday, February 11, 2012

You Tube's role in School Counseling and Psychology


  • What is the potential application of Youtube to you as a counselor/psychologist?
  • What concerns or reservations do you have about using Youtube?
  • Provide examples of how others have used Youtube in their practice.

I have used YouTube for classroom presentations, showing clips about bullying or ADHD for example. I like the Teacher Tube channel. I also have used it for my own education, looking at posts from counselors I admire, for example, the videos Susan Kaiser Greenland has posted with short exercises to teach children mindfulness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9GJtic9eW0

I don't show the videos to the kids, but I use her videos to help me with how I work with students on these topics.

I also use Youtube with students for a group counseling activity, where I ask students to share a favorite song -- usually on Youtube we can find a video of the song pretty easily, and watch it as a group. Of course a concern can be inappropriate language or images and I am cautious with that.

I like how some bloggers use YouTube links in their blogs; for example links to videos about attachment theory research, and as appropriate I may link to some YouTube videos that I like in my own blog (like the mindfulness videos!)

No comments:

Post a Comment